Monday, October 23, 2006

50th anniversary of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution

Although I had planned to stay home and study, I decided to go out today, as I didn't want to miss the "historic moment" in Budapest. Just as I got out of my house, a long row of police cars were speeding by, with sirens on. It was somewhat scary to see trucks full of armed police officers being transported to the city centre, to the location of the demonstrations. The streets in the centre were full of demonstrators, carrying Hungarian flags and other national symbols. I tried to approach the Parliament building, but apparently the police had blocked all the streets leading to the Parliament. At one point, I became quite scared, when the police drove people off the square in front of the TV building.
I then followed the crowd to the St. Istvan Bazilika - there were quite many people there already, they were singing and shouting nationalistic slogans in Hungarian. The people were protesting against the current government. Some were carrying slogans saying that the current government is a successor of the 1956 oppressors...
Take a look at photos here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home